Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2009

Eight years ago today........Seems like it was just yesterday. We were living at my friend Bill's house at I-10 and Barker Cypress and I got up for work as normal, Cheryl, my second mom, arrived at Bill's to ride to work together and we got in my truck and headed down I-10 to downtown. I have a scanner in my truck and was listening to Metro Traffic and I was paying attention to Vikki Taylor, my favorite chopper chick, talk about the World Trade Center. Cheryl and I were so oblivious we kept looking at each other saying, World Trade Center? Is there one in Houston? Where would it be? Certianly they wouldnt be discussing the one in NY, would they? We get to work, and the office is all a buzz. It finally dawned on Cheryl and I that our world had just changed completely in a heart beat. We all gathered around the only tv in our office and watched the news footage. All while feeling that unsettling feeling of what else could these terriorist be planning? Was downtown Houston going to be next?? The powers that be finally sent us all home and as we were exiting downtown it was like a mass exidus. People were running from their buildings in search of their vehicles to get out the heck out of dodge. Streets were packed with cars headed to all exits of downtown.

We finally make it home and I promptly plop my butt on Bill's couch and turned the tv on and from then on, I was glued to my tv. It was horrifying but I couldnt stop watching. It was all so surreal. Was this really happening? This sort of thing does not happen in the US right? Surely it was all a big mistake. More and more people died, more and more ordinary people became heros, more and more and more............ Reality check....this was really happening.

Its amazing how life can change in a heartbeat. However many millions or billions of people in the US, all had their lives changed in a single second. As the years have gone by, the memories have all slowly melted into the back of our minds and we've all gone on living life. But every now and then, you stop and think about it and say a silent prayer for America.

Makes you really apprecitate the things you have in your life when you stop and think about what could have been. I've been blessed with so many good friends and wonderful experiences and memories in my life and I dont say "I appreciate you" enough to my friends. They have stuck by me through thick and thin and been there to support me when needed.

So, I appreciate you my friends. Thank you for being there through good times and bads and lifting me up when I was down. Lets all stop and say a little prayer for America today and your family and friends, and those that parished in 9/11. You never know when it will be your last day.

3 comments:

Cas said...

Thank you right back, sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

thanks

Cat said...

Thanks for......?